Lawsuits, Trials & Appeals
If your family is troubled to the point of needing a lawyer, you want someone who shares your values and will help you find peace. Families matters to you and to us. Our experienced Utah Family Law team offers you help on a broad range of legal issues, including:
Some facts you should know about
- Utah LitigationLitigation is the legal process of resolving disputes.
- Lawsuits begin with the filing of a legal complaint in the proper court.
- After the lawsuit is filed, the parties engage in discovery by asking and answering questions and demands for evidence.
- We often use paralegals to keep your legal costs lower in this stage of the case.
- Hearings are often held by Judges to schedule a case, simplify the issues, resolve procedural disputes or to decide cases that don’t need a trial.
- Trials are the formal presentation of evidence by witnesses.
- Appeals are attempts of a dissatisfied party to have a higher court reverse a decision at any stage of a lawsuit.
- Settlement occurs whenever the parties can agree to resolve their dispute. In Utah, most lawsuits are settled.
If we can resolve your dispute without a court fight, we will.
- Mediation brings parties together to work out their dispute with the help of a mediator, a trained specialist who is often a judge or former judge.
- Attorneys at Helgesen, Houtz & Jones have conducted hundreds of successful Utah mediations.
- Arbitration allows people to take their dispute to a neutral third-party who can hear and decide their case without the time and expense of a lengthy legal court battle. Arbitration is not a solution for everyone, but it might help you.
- Settlement is possible in almost every legal dispute if the lawyers are creative. We will never settle your case without your permission, but if you want to settle we can help you find the way. We have settled thousands of Utah legal disputes.
If a lawsuit is necessary, we are ready. Our legal team of lawyers, paralegals and legal assistants has won some of the largest lawsuits in Utah. We can help you!
Recent Family Law Articles[/fusion_title]
Understanding divorce in Utah
The decision to get a divorce is never an easy one. Most people do not even begin to consider it as a possibility until they have tried every other option they can think of to […]
What is an annulment?
An annulment is the process of legally erasing a marriage. By law, the marriage will be considered as though it never happened. The legal significance of vacating or canceling the marriage is the difference […]
Utah has a new rule in place that protects parties in family law cases: Utah Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 109
Legal matters can be difficult to deal with, especially with family law cases. Emotions run high and parties may feel anger or resentment toward each other. As a result, they may behave in a way […]
Utah child custody evaluation process
This article was updated November 13th, 2019 by Angie Allen
The most heated issue in a divorce can be determining custody of minor children. If divorcing spouses are unable to reach an agreement on custody and parent […]