“A study conducted by the Insurance Research Counsel suggests people who suffer bodily injuries in an auto accident due to driver, manufacturer and/or government negligence win 3.5 times more in settlement compensation while represented by an attorney than injury victims who don’t hire a personal injury attorney.”

Quote from kpattorney.com’s article Will I Get More Settlement Money with a Personal Injury Lawyer?  

Compensation is the monetary award to recompense for loss, injury, or suffering.

Involvement in an auto accident is often frustrating and confusing. There are obvious and not so obvious losses. Some obvious losses include property damage and physical injuries. And some not so obvious losses include lost income, the cost of household services, and emotional distress.

In Utah, you are entitled to three reimbursements for your injuries. These reimbursements are:

1. Lost wages

2. Medical expenses

3. Pain and suffering

The purpose of these reimbursements is to compensate the injured party to make them “whole” from a monetary standpoint. In other words, to put the injured party back to where they were before the accident.

While calculating lost wages and medical expenses is fairly easy,

calculating pain and suffering is not.

Pain and suffering are often subjective and are based on the type of injury, the length of recovery, and the permanence of injury.

Insurance adjusters are trained to minimize pain and suffering claims; an injured party is at a great disadvantage dealing with insurance adjusters on their own. A good attorney will bridge the gap between the two. Helpful tip: an injured party can assist by reporting all instances of pain to their doctor and by recording­ their experience in a personal journal.

Moreover, an attorney can help obtain additional funds for losses such as household expenses, emotional distress, and future medical expenses, which are often overlooked.

 Disclaimer: This article is not intended to be used as legal advice and is not a blanket for every situation. You should always consult with your attorney.